"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagnination, and life to everything." ~ Plato


Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Resolute

Happy New Year!

Seeing as it's been 2014 for almost 24 hours, and I have been ruminating on my resolutions all day -- it's time to get to it.

1 - Write every day on this blog.  Even if it's just a sentence.
2 - Focus on health.  Not losing weight (although that would be a pleasant result), but being healthy.
Meaning:  Less sugar.  Little to no soda. Going out to eat no more than 2-3 times a week, and only as time crunches necessitate.  Find something active and enjoyable and get moving.
3 - Spend less, save more.  (The limit on going out to eat will help this immensely.)
4 - Quality music practicing 5-6 days a week.
5 - Make time for yoga 3+ days a week.

I also really hope to find some quality time to pick up that dang guitar and learn to play it!

To go along with the most of the rest of my FB newsfeed, a bit of reflection on 2013...

Senior year of PLU finished out on many high notes (no pun intended).  Choir of the West was one of the biggest highlights and I will treasure my memories of our tour in Canada and of course of ACDA in Dallas.  I so immensely enjoyed being able to serve the choir as student president, even in the times when I felt really stressed out it was seriously the greatest.  Because at the end of it all I knew I was helping people have a better experience.  It took me until recently, but I realized that I just really love helping people and I feel successful when I know that I could contribute to others' happiness.  Serving as choir president was a big part of figuring that out.
I took a leap of faith and learned to trust in God's plans when it came to the whole graduate school thing.  It was quite a journey to go from relative confidence down to the humbling realization of "it just probably won't happen."  After accepting the fact that I would most likely be living at home for the next year, SFCM came through.  Since finishing out fall semester down in San Francisco, the moment of that acceptance phone call feels forever and a moment ago all at once.  I still struggle with the insecurity of what is in store, but it's all about learning from that moment of accepting what I didn't plan on (both times!).  It's about stepping out onto stormy waters and knowing I'm not going to drown; rather, it's a new adventure ahead, and there is Someone who will be holding my hands all the way.
Moving to San Francisco has been a giant mixed bag.  So much of it is wonderful - especially related to the school side.  I feel that I have grown immensely in the last three months in my understanding of vocal technique that works for me, what being a professional musician means, and especially coming away with a stronger sense of self.  "Starting again" with school at this point means stretching myself to discover new parts of who I am (or develop existing bits) but also having a much firmer foundation to build from.  And of course the people!!  We're all in similar sailing vessels when it comes to this sense of starting fresh and that seems to translate to everyone generally being nice and supportive of each other.  That, and/or I just lucked out by getting into a program of excellent individuals.  I'm lucky to be able to say "I love you" to one particular person.  :)
At the same time, this move away from everything comfortable exposed me to big fears and doubts about what I'm doing.  Part of getting stronger is confronting those.  At times it has been difficult missing home, family, friends, my dog, PLU, the rain... SF has many of those things in different versions, but of course it's not the same.  It's been good to be home for break and I've got some change to look forward to when I get back, and I think those will help settle my heart.

That turned into something much more long-winded than I intended, but there we go.  In short, 2013 was a big one for change and trusting that those changes are going to turn out.  Somehow, they always do, even if it's not the way we expect them to.  What's that line from The Sound of Music? When God closes a door, somewhere He opens a window.
So, with resolutions and reflections written and posted to the internet for some semblance of accountability -- Here's to 2014!

Love&Harmony,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment