"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagnination, and life to everything." ~ Plato


Thursday, January 23, 2014

Singing Revelation

I think I found my "big girl voice" today, or at least the way to finding it. My highest notes had vibrato and no strain, my middle notes felt full and velvety. And nothing has ever felt so easy. Like the voice was bursting from me, with such an exciting feeling of having something to say and express. And it all came back to breath, the balance of breath and pressure (support), the "placement" of each, and the bodily understanding that they are both related but not simultaneous or directly connected with each other. Breath drives all and the muscles/support follow almost instantaneously. But the breath isn't controlled -it is inhale; the intake of breath must be a natural extension of the exhale/presence of support.

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense. I'm mostly working through my teacher's philosophy and self-application. It's been a singing revelation kind of day. Post-lesson, I've never had a better practice room session in my life.

Here's to finally leading to sing (and hoping the lesson sticks!)

Love&Harmony,
Erin

P.S. I realized also that my boyfriend and roommates are essentially weird music conservatory versions of the guys in New Girl. I think I'm dating Nick.  Weird and hilarious and weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment