"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagnination, and life to everything." ~ Plato


Sunday, January 5, 2014

Silver and Gold

"Make new friends, but keep the old; one is silver and the other gold."

Today was a day of seeing "old" friends back down near PLU.  Cue nostalgia and happiness.  :)  Several days of break have consisted of this - friends that go wayyy back and some I've only known well for a few years (but it feels like a lifetime).  As the saying goes, they're gold.
But there's plenty to be said for silver, too.  Home and hometown (or relatively close to it) friends are comfortable and returning to comfortable is always nice.  I'm finding I'm missing the new friends, too though. Not that I thought I wouldn't, since they're awesome people!  The thing is, you can only talk so much about new experiences in new places with old friends.  There's not a way to convey who the people are that I am talking about.  While telling the amusing - at least to me - anecdotes, the jokes, the quirky things about school and the city, there is no benefit of mutual understanding.  
It's that interesting "dual-life" phenomenon.  I am not two different people (superhero and super-secret-identity); rather, my singular identity exists in two places.  Or, at least, it kind of feels that way... Interesting.  
Veering off "topic" though... haha.

Basically, it makes sense to value the gold more than the silver.  But who's to say the weightier substance of the gold carries any more value than the silver?  The value of either relationship stems from that of shared experience.  And if we invest our true selves in any experience with friends - new or old - that's what is always invaluable.

Love&Harmony,
Erin



(I hope that made sense.  It's a little late and I'm a little ramble-y.  Gute Nacht!)

No comments:

Post a Comment